Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

Front Pieced ~ Cat in the Hat Quilt

My daughter Madeline is thrilled to see that the front of her Cat in the Hat quilt is pieced. This is such a happy quilt, I can't help but smile every time I see it :)

Wonky strips are so reminiscent of Dr. Seuss, don't you think?

This quilt is the third blankie incarnation. The first blankie was a blue velvet/satin blanket my sister gifted Madeline as a baby. Blue blankie was loved until it was overrun with holes, but even then Madeline didn't want to give it up.

I begged and begged her to let me make her a new blankie. She would not budge, just could not imagine parting with her treasured blue blankie. We ended up compromising. She would let me throw away blue blankie on two conditions.

First, a non-holey scrap had to be sewn on the new quilt. And two, new blanket had to be finished by bedtime. No pressure, right? That led to a really simple pattern, but a super happy kid. And a super happy momma. No more holey blue blankie!

Well, now it's later and second blankie has gotten old, threadbare, and too small. I'm guessing she'll want that old scrap of blue blankie on this quilt too. At least now she's older and doesn't expect the whole thing to be done in a few hours :)

Now, time to piece the back...

2 comments:

  1. That is one sweet replacement blankie! Love the colours! Glad you found my latest post useful, Sara Marie. Just to let you know... You are a no reply blogger.
    Gets it's time for a repeat read already! Ha, ha!
    Thanks so much for the visit today!
    Lorna:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet to help me, Lorna! Still figuring out all the lingo, and how everything works. So much to learn! Fixed the no-reply just now, fingers crossed :)

      Delete

I love hearing your comments and thoughts! Promise to reply as time allows :)